Scones, petit fours, dainty crustless sandwiches, chunky rolls and tea, tea glorious tea.
It can only mean one thing yes, it’s afternoon tea and from 14th to 20th August it’s be a national week of indulgence. Yah! 🙂
In no particular order here are 5 York afternoon tea destinations on my shortlist. Perhaps they may tempt your tastebuds too?!
1. Probably Yorks’ best known place to take tea try Little Bettys’ or maybe take your tea accompanied by the piano tinkling at big Bettys‘?
2. A gem if you want a little something healthy and different or have anyone in need of special dietary requirements Filmore & Union have these bases covered. Top tip: ask for the table with the view when booking and make your dining guests treat that little more special with the Minster view for company.
3. If dining on the Orient Express is one of your dreams then this destination will tick your box.
Settle into your sumptuous environment on the The Countess of York this dining train carriage is now home ( and stationery) at the National Railway Museum.
4. One I’ve been been recommended which is an independent local vegan cafe. There isn’t an afternoon tea per se on the menu however you can have a DIY experience choosing from their scrummy sandwiches and tasty sweets selection. You’ll find it on Gillygate ( pronounced Jilly-gate) and is called 2 Oxford Place
5. The Garden Room has majestic, plush and classic written all over it situated in the York Principal Hotel, beside the railway station this is a beautiful light and elegant venue for a delectable afternoon tea.
Whether you choose to DIY at home with your best china it or indulge in a sumptuous dining experience in a dining carriage it’s fair to say that we are truly blessed to have many, many cafes and eateries in York to choose from.
What’s your favourite place to go to? Do let me know so I can investigate – purely for research purposes of course!